Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Cause for the Occassion

So the cause is human rights. There are many worthy things that I could blog on. But the one thing that is REALLY bothering me today is watching our gas prices continue to rise. While this may seem selfish in the face of the many worthy causes out there, I do believe that our rights as humans are being violated by the oil companies of the world. I know, I know. There's NOTHING we can do about it. AND it's not a cause of which people aren't aware. Still, I felt compelled. I mean, what about the nations trucking industry, parcel and package delivery, etc. Everyone's affected! Are the oil companies truly going to be happy when we have to revert back to the horse and carriage to get from place to place? How will they make their money THEN?? I just think our government is turning its back on us. Yeah, yeah. It's FIVE DOLLARS a gallon in Brazil. Well, that's a MAJOR violation, and something should be done about that as well. Do I have a solution? The only one I have is for congress to step up to the plate and actually take real action for once. This is an issue that affects EVERY senators constituents. SO DO SOMETHING!!

Well, that's all I have. My apologies to those of you who had more worthy causes, but I'm tired of getting dumped on by people in high places.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well robert, you posted something and i couldn't get my act together to get mine done. thanks for taking up the slack :-)

i would say though... i don't think i really want the governemnt any more involved in things than they already are. i guess i'm a capitalist of the highest degree, because i believe that the free market should govern how the price rises or falls, even though it IS killing me at the pump, too. i've yet to see the government get involved in anything that they didn't royally screw up worse than it already was. and that includes this "gas tax holiday" the 3 prez candidates are kicking around (do you think this would have come up in a non-election year, btw?)

at some point market forces will prevail one way or the other... it's supply and demand. as long as the demand is there, the price is going to remain high. if people start cutting back on their consumption, supplies will stockpile and prices will fall, although i will say this... petroleum is NOT a renewable resource, so the price will never actually plummet, because eventually it's all going to be gone and the supply will then NEVER outpace demand obviously. so to me, in that regard, high prices are a kind of good thing, because they higher price will eventually cut back the demand. we will only buy what we can afford to buy after all. as Christians we are called to be stewards of the earth, and i'm sure we can agree that we all can do a better job of that. conserving a non-renewable resource such as petroleum, to me, is nothing but good stewardship.

of course if prices are artificially high, that's a different matter altogether, and you are absolutely correct. the government should be protecting us from the criminal activity of those who would take advantage of us.