Sunday, April 13, 2008

Living Out Loud

The term and admonition "live out loud" has been sneaking in and out of my consciousness lately. I know that, being an avid listener of K-LOVE, there is a popular song by Stephen Curtis Chapman with that title, and I have likely heard the song within the past several days. But I don't think that's the only reason those words are ringing in my ears. I think I'm being convicted by these words!

As followers of Christ, we are all called to "live out loud". What does that mean, exactly? Well, I can tell you what it means for me. You see I tend to do everything in a rather subdued, quiet manner. It's just who I am. I am more comfortable blending into the fabric of what's going on around me, rather than creating some of the fabric myself. But as a Christian, this doesn't really work. I may be perfectly happy blending in, but I don't think God wants me to do that. It's way too comfortable. The life giving power of Christ is not something I can continue to bottle up. It's time for me to "create some fabric"!

Jesus said, "No one lights a lamp and puts it in a jar or hides it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light." He wanted His followers to know that we have something within us that should not be hidden. We are to live our lives in such a way that the Holy Spirit, who indwells us, has no choice except to be seen and heard by all with whom we come into contact. For me, although I have seized a couple of opportunities with two close friends of mine recently, I don't speak up NEARLY enough. When I'm in situations where I stop and wonder what the person who doesn't know me as well will think, those are the times that I need to "shout" the LOUDEST! And so the words "live out loud" are quite convicting.

Are you living out loud?

2 comments:

Jim said...

Now THIS is what I'm talkin' 'bout!! Great words Mr. Robert!

Brittany said...

You've been tagged! Check out my blog to see what I'm talkin' about!