Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Post-graduate Post

I started this journey in the fall of 1999.

From 1994 up to that point, I was the junior high band director in a town with a rich band tradition, marred by the constant influx of director after director. In fact, at the time of MY departure from Warren, I was the longest tenured director there since the retirement of Curry Martin in 1984. And after five years, even I, a man teaching at his alma mater, had had enough. The death of my father, an impossible co-director, and the addition of block scheduling all told me it was time for a change. And thus, the journey toward my masters degree began.

The journey was then interrupted by the community of Prescott when two of its citizens brought their daughter to Monticello for band camp. They asked if I would come be their band director. I was flattered, and long story short, got the job. My time in Prescott was indeed enjoyable. Along with other relationships that I will never forget, Prescott was where my connection with the Whaley family began---but that's a story for a future blog. Alas, home was calling, so I ended my Prescott chapter after only two pleasant, but sometimes trying years. Why trying? SOME of my Band parents.... Enough said.

So the journey was to resume at this point. And resume it did. I became a student assistant to the UAM band and worked in the education department on a stipend to fund the rest of the journey in the fall of 2002. And then...a less pleasing interruption occurred. One Sunday morning, my already surgically repaired right hip decided to stop supporting my weight. I figured I'd go see my primary care physician on Monday, and be back at work/school on Tuesday. It was not to be. After a lot of medical testing to determine what was causing this problem, it was FINALLY determined that my repaired hip was in need of re-repair. So, because of the intense pain and obvious lack of mobility, I made the decision to withdraw from the masters program and begin the long healing process. Surgery finally took place in April of 2004. Yes...it took that long. (The state of medical care in our great country is also a subject for another blog).

Now we enter the fall of 2004. The journey is ready for its continuance. It wouldn't be easy, however. The statute of limitations had run out on some of my courses since 1999. Appeals would have to be made and some courses repeated. Perseverance then became the key.

Enter the present. The spring of 2007 officially ended for undergrads today. And for me, that long journey, affluent with new job opportunities and unexpected health issues, will finally end in less than two days. This Friday, I will be among the graduates. I will be awarded my Master of Education Degree.

A great deal has happened since the journey began. To name some, one sister and my mom will not be in the audience to see me awarded this degree, as I anticipated they would be when it all began. Instead, they will watch from Heaven and they will both be smiling. As I approach the end of this particular journey, I thank God for this adventure. It has taught me a lesson in how to approach another journey--- one with ETERNAL consequences.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
---The Apostle Paul (2Timothy 4:7)

10 comments:

Jim said...

The post we've been waiting on...GREAT JOB! I'm just so sorry that my family and I can't be with you on Friday. But as I told you yesterday, we'll be with you in prayer and in spirit. Stay vertical!

Brittany said...

Your post brought back a lot of memories. Congratulations on many years of hard work and perserverance. And on being the bright spot during those years with the band director who must not be named!

Kim Doss said...

I am so very proud of you. You are a special person and you have worked long and hard for this. Congrats!!

dean said...

i'm inspired! i too have aspired to a higher degree (not just for the sake of having one, but for more opportunities in my ministry), and your story has shown me that its never too late (although i suspect i am a good bit further over the hill than you are:-)

congratulations!!

Shaun Martin said...

Hey brother...your journey not only taught you a big lesson, but it allowed you to influence, teach and touch several lives. Nothing on the journey was a suprise to our God and scripture says that He will work all things out for the good of those who love Him...so remember your first love, as you begin your next journey! Journey on toward the prize!

Nathan said...

Congratulations. And since you're probably wondering how I found you, it was by accident. I found a letter you wrote me after you graduated the first time from UAM and it made me wonder how you were. Since I don't go south much anymore since I work in Central AR and don't get out much. Happenstance can be a good thing especially when it puts you in touch with old friends. Again Congratulations, Nathan Collie.

P.S. If you forgot me, I went to UAM during the '93-'94 semesters and have never forgotten that short time in Monticello, or the friends I made.

T J said...

Rob, at the risk of sounding feminine , I am proud of you. I have known you a long time and have seen you go through so much. Most people would have been complaining non-stop and probably would have given up. You on the other hand have been an inspiration to many in that you have continued to accomplish great things and doing it with a great outlook. I am proud to call you a friend and colleague.

Elaniom said...

Rob, I hope that you know how much you are loved; by myself, my husband, and the daughter who enjoys calling you "uncle". I am rife with guilt at not being able to see you graduate, especially knowing the struggles you overcome to do so, but I hope you realize how proud I am that you never gave up!! I miss you so much and know that yours is a life full of purpose, meaning, and inspiration. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

pet insurance
Observe if it has trouble walking or climbing, or if it doesn't walk or climb at all. They have a long lifespan for a rodent (approximately 10 years) and they are very sociable and active. You should also spray its cage before putting the chameleon back.

Anonymous said...

cheap phentermine online phentermine emotional side effects - phentermine vs phendimetrazine